9. EVIL DEAD. REMAKE. I know you’re thinking, WE DON’T NEED TO SEE THAT, but we do. Not only because Evil Dead franchise gods Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell have been involved in the production of the film from the beginning, or because Oscar-winning Juno scribe Diablo Cody worked on the script. No, that’s just me ticking boxes. We need to get excited for this R-rated hot mess of a date movie because the trailer is so off the wall crazy that if it delivers even a third of its gruesome promise, that “this is the most terrifying film you will ever experience”, then we are going to come away from this all kinds of fiendishly satisfied. This is probably the only horror release that stands a good chance of scaring you this year Wasps, so suck it up, and spill your guts out to EVIL DEAD when it is released nationwide on 19th April.
8. It’s been over three years since the Yeah Yeah Yeahs released the fabulous It’s Blitz! album, so I am super pleased that their new record Mosquito is only a couple of weeks away from release. The New Orleans juju-influenced record promises a change of direction for Karen O and co. but that’s alright; I’ll happily go wherever they want to go. Just as long as it’s nowhere near a dubstep breakdown. So overdone.
7. Amour, no introduction needed, but do please remember to stock up on tissues before you hit play on this startling reality check of a modern day classic.
6. I know what you’re thinking, not another bleedin’ film, but seriously guys, April is slaying me right now. Ryan Gosling’s new film A Place Beyond The Pines hits cinemas this month and in it Ryan plays a motorcycle stunt rider who turns to robbing banks as a way to provide for his lover and their newborn child. What. A. Guy.
5. There are so many good DVDs out at the moment and Room 237, a documentary that explores the numerous theories about the hidden meanings within Stanley Kubrik’s ‘The Shining’, is a must for any horror aficionado.
4. Stolen Girlfriend Club’s acid yellow venom tee is so purdy I could die. This would be all kinds of unfortunate, of course, as I have also ordered one in black for church. Yours to own for £100.
3. It has been two months since Calvin Klein debuted their Concept underwear ad during the Superbowl and the world still hasn’t had enough of model Matthew Terry spinning around in his pants. Which, if you have seen the ad, is unsurprising. The boy is totally, like, the next Wahlberg.
2. Sightseers is also out on DVD, and follows Chris and Tina’s dream caravan holiday, which takes a very wrong turn. Expect lots of awkward murder and plenty of laughs, with genius comedy lines like, “He’s not a person Tina. He’s a Daily Mail reader.”
1. Rihanna pops up on numerous Elle covers this April, which promise talk of Chris Brown and babies. God help us all. The words may not be for keeps, Wasps, but those covers are all kinds of collectible.
Spring is here which, if you live in Scotland and are relatively sensible, means you will dress yourself as you would in January. But as our Januarys are often no different to our Julys, it should come as no surprise to you boys that I am endorsing a barely- there tee, standard well-fitted jeans, dirty boots and this sick little faux leather jacket from Zara as your style staples for April. I don’t like to be weighed down by my jackets, what with me already carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, so this jacket is the perfect piece of material to throw over your gun show at a moments notice. At only £69.99 it won’t burst the bank, but will give you the desired look that a much more expensive jacket would. So that’s more pennies to spend on a pair of dirty looking Ann Demeulemeester boots – which are also very affordable at around £600. I’m also pretty sure they come with a complimentary car, but don’t quote me on that.
Dundee-born Hayley Scanlan is a womenswear designer with a lot of buzz surrounding her at the moment, which is no surprise when artists like Marina Diamandis, Little Mix, Jessie J and Stooshe are all queuing up to wear her uber-edgy designs. Hayley can also count supermodel Erin O’Connor as a fan, and all it took for the industry vet to commission a custom made Hayley Scanlan studded leather jacket was a glimpse at Hayley’s graduate collection. Kind of amazing, right? But maybe not as amazing as being able to put “interned as print designer at Jeremy Scott in Beverly Hills” on your CV, which Hayley can. Like, wow.
Hayley was kind enough to answer five fun questions for me, which I present to you below. I’d also encourage you to check out her fierce HS label, which is inspired by the simple silhouettes of the Hayley Scanlan main label, yet more wearable and affordable. You’re going to love it girls!
Visit Hayleyscanlan.com to shop the collection.
A song that makes your heart skip a beat?
Stevie Wonder – I Just Called To Say I Love You. It’s my song from when I was a wee girl! Oh, and The Temptations – My Girl.
[youtube id=”QwOU3bnuU0k” width=”600″ height=”350″]
If your life were a film it would be…
CLUELESS: mainly due to the title.
The last film you watched that made you cry?
The Lion King. The bit when Mufasa dies gets me every time.
A guilty pleasure you can’t seem to quit?
One Direction – enough said.
Did Beyonce REALLY Lip-Sync the Star Spangled Banner?
Hmmmm well she is a very busy woman!